Use Social Security features online
By Lizna Odhwani
Have you ever thought you might need to visit a Social Security office? Chances are you do not. You can probably conduct your business with us without even leaving your home. The online services page at www.ssa.gov/onlineservices provides a wide variety of self-service options you can use on your phone, tablet, or computer. You can even apply for retirement, disability or Medicare online.
With a personal my Social Security account, you can:
- Get your Social Security statement.
- Request a replacement Social Security card, in most states and the District of Columbia.
- Appeal a decision.
- Find out if you qualify for benefits.
Do you receive Social Security benefits or Medicare? If so, you can create or log in to your personal my Social Security account to:
- Get your benefit verification letter for Social Security, Medicare, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Check your information and benefit amount.
- Change your address and telephone number.
- Start or change your direct deposit.
- Request a replacement Medicare card.
- Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.
- Report your wages if you work and receive disability benefits or SSI.
If you have applied for Social Security benefits, or have a pending reconsideration or hearing request, you can check the status online using your free personal my Social Security account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one at www.ssa.gov/myaccount to see the following information about your claim:
- Date of filing.
- Current claim location.
- Scheduled hearing date and time.
- Re-entry numbers for incomplete applications.
- Servicing office location.
- Publications of interest, depending on the claim and current step in the process.
- Use your personal my Social Security account to check the status of your application or appeal at www.ssa.gov/myaccount.
If you have questions about retirement, disability, Medicare, or survivors benefits, as well as Supplemental Security Income, visit www.ssa.gov/benefits.
Create a personal my Social Security account today at www.ssa.gov/myaccount to take advantage of these features. Also, share this online services page with family and friends who need this important information.
Lizna Odhwani is Social Security public affairs specialist in Virginia. Contact her at Lizna.Odhwani@ssa.gov.